Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander, and Princess Máxima are on a two-for-one state visit: first stopping in the United Arab Emirates, then in Oman. I'm splitting the week up due to the number of outfits involved. This is the U.A.E. portion of the trip.
- Arriving in Abu Dhabi for a state visit to the United Arab Emirates, 7 January.
- Starting off with a visit to a mosque in the required modest garb, 8 January.
- a) The official welcome, 8 January, repeating her wonderful white Valentino suit from Amalia's christening (a.k.a. one of my favorite Máxima looks of all time), and (b) wearing some of her orange jewels.
- Last events of the day, 8 January, in a pantsuit with what I think might be one of her daughter's scribbles in hat form.
- Meeting Dutch companies in the area, 9 January. I'm afraid this might be what Betty White would wear to the Kentucky Derby...that said, points as always for a legit hat.
- In Dubai, 9 January. I think this hat might have been rescued from a shower drain somewhere. SORRY. Shouldn't have put that visual in your heads. I know I wish it wasn't in mine. Share my pain. Back to pleasantries now: I like her major print.
- Meeting with the Dutch community in Dubai, 9 January, in her repeated Valentino dress.
Also, we must do as the royals did and say a quick hello to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai:
(you might remember her from Ascot and other horse-related shenanigans) recently gave birth to the first of many royal babies expected this year, a boy called Zayed. Congrats!
From here the Dutch group headed to Oman, which is where we will pick up next week.
Photos: Dutch Photo Press/PPE/Nieboer